US-based Ron Friedmann has spent over two decades improving law practice and legal business operations with technology, knowledge management, and alternative resourcing. Today he is one of the world’s leading experts and bloggers on legal tech. Meeting Carsten in Nürnberg, Ron shares his views on the legal marketplace, current trends and opportunities for the next generation of lawyers.
Carsten speaks with Stefania Passera who is a designer, consultant and researcher specializing in legal design, in particular transforming contracts into user-friendly tools for business. On Friday 18th August, Stefanie successfully defended her PhD thesis “Beyond the wall of contract text – visualizing contracts to foster understanding and collaboration within and across organizations”.
1. You are a designer, not a lawyer. Why did you become interested in legal contracts?
2. You just defended your dissertation on Friday! How did it go?
3. How would you summarize the three key findings of your dissertation?
4. What do you think of Blockchain contracts?
5. You also founded Legal Design Jam. What is this?
6. What is your message to lawyers wanting to get ready for tomorrow’s digital world?
7. Are there any favourite books you recommend?
8. Any tools?
Abstract of Stefania's dissertation: https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/handle/123456789/27292
Video of Stefania's PhD defence: https://youtu.be/7_h5qIjLwRw